Hospitalization rate continues to climb down daily, with Alberta Health reporting 57 hospitalized COVID-19 patients today, down about 78% since Monday, May 11, when 73 people were reported confined in hospitals.
Alberta Health also reports that nine people are receiving treatment in intensive care units. ICU admissions seesawed over a one-week period between May 10 and May 17 – from a high of 13 to a low of eight.
After an uptick a day earlier, active cases in Alberta declined to 1,044, down 20 from the last report. Overall, 5,453 have recovered from COVID-19, or about 82% of the total 6,644 cases.
In the past 24 hours 76 people have recovered from COVID-19, with 57 new cases also identified.
Another resident of a continuing care facility has died, the second in as many days, bringing the total deaths in continuing care facilities across the province to 93, or about 73% of the total 127 COVID-19 deaths in Alberta.
Below is a breakdown, by health zones, of active COVID-19 cases in Alberta.
- Calgary Zone – 856 active cases (minus 20)
- South Zone – 112 active cases (plus 1)
- Edmonton Zone – 60 active cases (unchanged)
- North Zone – 18 active cases (plus 1)
- Central Zone – 13 active cases (unchanged)
- There are 5 active cases and 19 recovered cases in zones that are yet to be confirmed.