None hurt in barn fire near Wembley

No one was harmed in a barn fire that occured at about 4:11pm on Tuesday, April 21, near Wembley. Flames had spread to the roof of the barn when fire crews arrived. Crews from Clairmont, Dunes, La Glace, Beaverlodge and Wembley quickly contained the fire, which was caused by embers of an open fire that spread due to winds of more than 51km an hour.

Burning of any kind is not permitted when winds exceed 12km per hour, a news release from the County of Grande Prairie said.

A fire ban is currently in effect throughout the County as well as in Beaverlodge, Sexsmith, Wembley and Hythe.

The fire ban is in place as a preventative measure to help keep emergency resources focused where they are most needed during the COVID-19 pandemic and other emergency events. The fire ban will remain in effect until conditions change, the County said.

Violations face fines as well as charges for the cost of responses.