Q&A with Shayne and Janelle Wood, owners of Highway 2 Cannabis Sales Inc.

Shayne and Janelle Wood

What made you decide to open a cannabis store?
Deciding to open a retail cannabis store was based on bringing it to a rural area to provide knowledgeable information on a variety of excellent cannabis products for people in the surrounding area. We are excited to be involved in this new, exciting, now-legal and regulated industry.

Most people may not be aware you can’t just hang out a shingle and be a store. Can you tell us the process one has to go through in order to open a cannabis store?
The process of obtaining a license was a long and dedicated one. AGLC (Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis) is very diligent in its process to obtain a license, and we met every requirement. We did the work ourselves to ensure that it was completed with the vision we had planned.

Are there regulations for purchasing supply for your store?
Yes – you need to have a Retail Cannabis License from AGLC to order cannabis from the only legal source in the province, AGLC. All cannabis products must be sourced from the AGLC. Retailers can order non-cannabis products such as accessories from an independent supplier.

Where does cannabis come from? Should I be worried about chemicals sprayed on the plants?
All legal cannabis sold in Canada must be grown in Canada by a Health Canada-licensed producer. All guidelines governing this product fall under the health and safety guidelines of Health Canada.

Despite many names for the different kinds of cannabis, there are basically only two types – Indica and Sativa. What’s the difference between the two?
Coming into our local Highway 2 Cannabis retail store and speaking with one of our knowledgeable staff members is the best way to get information to help guide you in what type of cannabis product you would be interested in.

Sativa often produces a “mind high,” or an energizing, uplifting effect. If you use Sativa-dominant strains, you may feel productive and creative, not relaxed and lethargic.

Indica is sought after for its intensely relaxing effects. It would be great for that perfect before bedtime night cap.

Hybrid would be a combination of Sativa and Indica strains.

Highway 2 Cannabis sells dried flower, milled flower, pre-rolls, oils, sprays and capsules. Dried flower and milled flower can be smoked, vaped or eaten in food. Pre-rolls are similar to joints (a type of cannabis cigarette) that have already been rolled and arrive ready to smoke. Oils can be ingested on their own or eaten in food or drink. Capsules and sprays are taken orally.

Do you sell CBD oil as well? If so, do you sell the one with THC as well as the one that contains no THC? Is the one with THC from a different type of plant than the one with THC?
Yes. We have different THC and CBD-THC combined products. THC is the main psychoactive compound in cannabis plants, responsible for the “high” or state of euphoria associated with cannabis use. CBD is non-psychoactive; it doesn’t cause a “high;” however, it could produce many physical individual benefits.

Do you sell CBD oil without THC for animals?
Currently all the legal cannabis products are certified by Health Canada for human consumption only. We do sell CBD oil with little or no THC but is meant for human consumption.

Does cannabis have a shelf life?
Health Canada has not determined a shelf life of dried flower.

Is there a specific way of storing it?
Cool dark area direct out of the sunlight and properly secured out of the reach of minors.

Can cannabis go bad?
Yes – if it is stored improperly. Mold is often the result of poor storage.

What would you like people to know about the now-legal substance once portrayed as a gateway drug?
People should be aware that with this new and exciting cannabis industry in Canada, cannabis is going to be an adventurous product and to be able to have different options when it comes to recreational exploration, rest and relaxation.